Monday, May 28, 2012

Cool in the Pool

We spent Memorial Day (and actually part of Sunday too) in the Browns’ pool (Nini and Teddy to HG). It was a very nice way to recover from the craziness of the past week, especially when it was too hot to do anything but stand in the cool water.

Helen Grace was a little hesitant of the pool yesterday and mostly stayed on the steps, refusing her life jacket, but was jumping to us off the side by the end of Sunday. She and I were standing on the steps near the end of the day, and she was hanging from the hand rail and slipped off. I was right there to grab her up, but her face did go under water. She didn’t panic, kept her mouth closed and held her breath, and got her feet under her. Afterward when she realized what happened, she panicked a little bit, but we all encouraged her that she responded well. As the day wore on, her confidence grew, along with her war story of survival, and she started telling people that she even held her nose as she went under. If only she had Pinocchio's nose to tell the true story! :)

Needless to say, today she was even more brave. She sat on the steps with Isaiah for a while, and all it took was Isaiah pointing at the boat in the deep end to make her want to ride in it. And that was that. She spent most of the rest of the day being pulled and pushed around the pool in that thing by any willing family member- Daddy, CB, Emmy, Teddy, etc. Later in the day, after taking a nap and shedding her swim suit, she took another dip in her swim diaper, gave corn hole a try, and fished for a big one (no luck, unfortunately).

A big time was had by all!

Soaking in the sun with Isaiahpool isaiah Uncle CB and Daddy pulling her aroundpool w daddy and cb Grandma, HG, CB, Teddy, Emmy, Pegpool everyone Cheesing with Emmypool emmy Nearing 6:30 p.m. on Monday…how am I ever going to get her out?pool late night Patiently waiting for the big onepool fishing 1 pool fishing 2 

Also, this morning, she started asking me to “drive her to Spiffer’s house” waaaayyy before Spiffer was actually awake, but by 9:30 a.m., we were on our way to Granddaddy and Spiffer’s house to play for a bit before heading to the pool. HG had asked me earlier if I was going to work today, and I explained that I wasn’t going in because it was a holiday. Well, when we got to GD and S’s, she turned to me and said, “Don’t you have to go to work today, Mama? Go. Bye bye.” What?! Like, ‘Don’t let the door hit ya’! Wow. So I went to get gas and walked around a store for a while to let them have some time to play. I guess the mommy magic wore off after a long weekend?? The good news is that when I got back, she was happy to see me and ready for the pool. Although it totally threw me off guard at first, I am very grateful she wanted some one on one time with her grandparents!

No comments: