Sunday, January 23, 2011

First Haircut

The time had finally arrived for Helen Grace’s first haircut. Her hair in the very back was getting so long that it was looking stringy, so I set up an appointment with Jeanna, who actually gave me MY first haircut almost 30 years ago. After our experience, I think she and I behaved very similarly- maybe a little déjà vu for poor Jeanna.

I arrived a little early, hoping Helen Grace would warm up to the place and to Jeanna. She finally let go of me and started playing on the benches up front, but she froze when I tried to take her back to Jeanna’s chair. We tried to sit her on my lap in the chair and put a cape on each of us, and that’s when the real freak-out happened. My dad arrived about that time for back-up, and after she arched her back and slid off my lap several times, we moved her to Granddaddy’s lap. Well, even Granddaddy- or Barney for that matter- couldn’t make it better for more than a second. She went back and forth and back and forth between us- trying to get away from the scissors. It felt like we were playing Fruit Basket Turnover! Jeanna is obviously a pro and just rolled with the punches, getting snips in when she could. The only time she ever calmed down was when this random lady walked up and showed her pics of her dog on her phone. For some reason, Helen Grace stopped crying and squirming and looked through them- for about two minutes. Spiffer arrived soon, and Helen Grace clung to her, thinking she had a life line…and then she realized that Jeanna wasn’t quite done! All in all, it was well worth all the drama. The back looks a lot better, and her curls are in full effect again. The wisps in the front look much more well kept. I’m glad that ‘first’ is over!

BEFORE of frontCIMG7385 BEFORE of backCIMG7386 AFTER of backCIMG7389 AFTER of frontCIMG7394

P1000036 Even Barney couldn’t calm her down.P1000038 P1000039 P1000040 P1000041 “PUH-LEASE save me!”P1000042 The lady with the dog pics stepped in to save the day.P1000044 Is that a smile??P1000046 Nope! Cling mode is back in full effect.P1000047 P1000049 P1000050Playing happily with her new ‘doP1000051 P1000053 P1000060

No comments: