Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Safari Park with GA

We were so lucky to have Grace Ann come stay with us for a few days at the end of July. As a means of somewhat cool (although not clean) entertainment, we set off to show her the safari park in Como.

We were about ten minutes away from the Como exit when I heard HG tell Cressey to wake up. She was nodding off, and I told her she had just enough time to catch a power nap before we got there. About five miles from the exit, we heard her cough, and before we knew it, she awoke with a start and threw up EVERYWHERE. We all about gagged just hearing/ smelling it, and HG and I piled out of the car (when I could finally stop) like it was on fire. GA was the only calm one! We were able to rinse most of the car floor, her seat, her dress, and HG was a FAB nurse for her, offering her water, applesauce, towels, etc. Cressey swore she felt fine- must have been carsickness- so we pressed onward, although with the windows rolled down!

We started with feeding the giraffes, then checked out the petting zoo, fed the lorikeets, set out on the 'safari ride,' and had to do one more visit to say goodbye to the lorikeets. The worker warned us before we entered the bird cage that they would jump on us and might nip a little and that we couldn't scream and run. I admit that I was a little nervous how Cressey would react, but she took it very seriously. They liked her long hair, and she was a trooper!


She had to ride naked the last 10 minutes or so to let her dress dry out a bit. Hysterical. Only us!

Feeding the giraffes





















This camel! I was so tickled watching one of them attack GA's bag of food that I forgot I had my window open, and one of friend's came after my food bag that was sitting near the gearshift. He wouldn't take no for an answer!



I had packed a cooler with some snacks and lunchables in case the girls got hungry during our outing. Thank goodness I did because about halfway through the safari loop, Cress sat down her animal food bag, hopped back in her car seat, and started working her way through all the snacks! She rarely rolled her window down to say hi to an animal, but this one seemed keen on getting a whiff of that pizza lunchable!



Toward the end, they had a giraffe out in the pasture. I've never seen them approach a car, but we stopped and this one walked right over to us. We were completely starstruck! What an experience!








No comments: