Friday, June 12, 2020

Toohig Tidbits: May

Cressey has become obsessed with using the word 'booger' in funny phrases. The most popular one is calling you a 'booger scooger' when she's mad at you. As much as we know we shouldn't encourage this, we all bust into laughter whenever we hear it.

I found Cressey struggling to open the fridge. She had a Chick-fil-a box in her hand and said, "I have two left over. I want to save them in the fridge for later."

I love how HG and Cressey both tell their grandparents that they love them as they leave.

Cress loves to make her bed up in the morning, without being asked. I sure don't make up my bed in the morning!

Cress says to me, "I need to ask you sumpin', mommy. Why is sissy just a whittle bit crazy??"

"I don't like to do things you ask me." - C

"You teach me to do good things, and I teach you to do good things." - C

Cress and I are sitting at the kitchen table. She's eating strawberries. She has to go potty and tells me to watch her strawberries. She runs off, and I hop up to go finish cooking my breakfast. From the bathroom door, she hollers, "Mommy! Stay! Focused!"

C loves to say someone is 'distracted.'

"Nuts!" when something goes awry.

"Dead it to death" when you kill something.

I'm getting Cress out of the bathtub and stumble a bit. She says, "That's ok. That's part of life, mommy!"


HG was tasked with recreating a baby pic for a class challenge- she won! She was about 8 mos old in the photo on the left (Jan 2010).


GD and Spiffer had some yard work done, followed by a bunch of rain, that left a LOT of mud for a few days. We made a special, much anticipated trip to their house to play in the mud!





Cressey decided the sand was much easier to play in/ wash out. She wasn't having any of that dirty mud.



And then on a worm (positive) and rolly polly (negative) search






Doing a little playroom reorg required some shelf assembly


Long Legs McGee and Momo


Cress is working hard in her new office


She's always trying to be taller than me


The joy of a water hose (She and I washed my car)



Cress is addicted to this mermaid book, and one night, HG acted it out for her. She LOVED it!







One of my favorite crazy faces of this girl's



I love the selfies I find on my phone


We have had a ton of white moths around here, and Cress loves holding them





Cressey had to try on HG's goggles


Part of a project for end of year teacher appreciation


Our 14th anniversary was May 6th, and we ordered take out from Ruth's Chris. We laughingly told the girls to go play outside while we ate, unless they wanted to make themselves useful and light some candles. Before we knew it, HG and Cressey appeared with some (battery operated) candles and later with rose petals (from the yard). Then, they did go play outside and let us chat. So so sweet!


Afterward, John and I went on a walk around the neighborhood and came back to candles and rose petals on the stairs, and HG was playing "Slow Dancing in a Parking Lot" on her iPad. Best anniversary yet!


My little shadow


Our first time to leave the house (other than drive throughs) and in masks since spring break, for my dermatologist appointment


HG's class calls are family events


Cress has been obsessed with bugs, so I ordered her some new bug books. As soon as they arrived, these two holed up with them to devour them.


FaceTime with Ava


Troll themed class call


"Be her" in the play room


The sister roles reversed







Fork (or fort) time




This looks like such a mundane moment, but we designed our whole bathroom renovation around the hope that these two could get ready for the day peacefully beside each other. Every time I see them both brushing their teeth, I smile.








Time to get out our patio cushions! Most of the green stuff has fallen, so we finally pulled them out.


Drive through at school to pick up end of year stuff



HG's historical women tea: Amelia Earhart



Mo is always close by






Showing me how to drink out of a tea cup with her pinky up



HG found a way to get Cressey to practice her letters- bet her (pretending) she couldn't do it. Cress CACKLED every time she wrote a letter!




Spirit Awards


HG was given the St. Angela Merici Award- "lighting up our class with your joy"





A little handmade happy for Mother's Day from HG- a mini People magazine, a mini doll of me, and Skittles!


My workout buddy!


I can still hold her like a baby- just barely!



This cat


The girls made a chalk trail for us to jump through



Party is all here!





ECC virtual field day!



HG and I set up this water relay game for Cressey to play. She had fun running the first few laps, but then she had a moment of clarity. She picked up the full bucket, walked to the empty bucket, and poured all the water into the empty one. Done! Lol!











First ironing!



"Don't I look fabulous?"







She went to the mailbox and came back with this big ole goofy smile and a piece of mail from DG (addressed to me)!








Gibson's is open again!! John surprised us with some that morning, and the girls fought over who would get the first bite of sugary goodness!



Momo cuddles



First time we all left the house on bikes (and of course, we didn't all return on one...)





There's not enough champagne in the city of Memphis for these early morning play sessions...


Our little quarantine garden has relocated from a drink cart inside by the window to these pots outside, and it is slowly expanding.



Sissy piggyback!


On a snail search


Background playdate with Presley and Avery



If mama sits down and gets still for a minute, this is what happens. And then your kid takes a pic of you.


Isn't there an expression like 'to crash where you fall?'


A front yard picnic with Norah


HG has picked up a new hobby, much to my terror


Cress wanted to help sissy brush the horse, Roannie was giving some 'tude, but HG was quick to remind Roannie who was the boss.


Again, Roannie was giving some push back, but Cress thought her little hand would scare him into shape.









I thought I had ordered this fairy garden sensory kit during quarantine, but apparently, I didn't actually do it?? So I tried again, and both girls played with it for hours.



This penguin used to be her school sleep friend (she'd use it as a sleep mask over her eyes), but I love seeing her cuddle it.


Look at all these lazy bones while I was trying to work out. But hey, HG was so helpful that she called out my routine for me and counted some reps.


#underbody


FINALLY!!!! May 21th was a magical day! And the first day that I had used a purse since spring break


AFTER!



The first time in the (Words') pool this season, and it was COLD!






Cressey's creation


Cress made her own pizza


A bad storm blew through one afternoon, and HG promised Cressey she'd take care of her.





First day at the Browns' pool







All ready for a pool day!


THEY ARE READY!



















Maddie gave her this hammock for her birthday, and she's loved it!



Walking across the street to swim at the Words'


We love Ana!


John found HG out in the hammock one quiet morning- the wifi reaches out there!


Cress has gone to MemFins for swim lessons this year. One of her classmates' sweet mamas teaches it, and they live really close to us. Cressey was really excited to go every morning except the last one, and she came out happy until the next to last class. HG was so sweet and encouraging to her when she wasn't happy about putting her face underwater.



When the cat is away, the mouse will play!


HG and I snuck off to get our nails done for Brandy's wedding and the beach! (May 28th) They had every other seat blocked off, masks required, and plastic screens at the manicure stations. Very few people there too. We felt very safe and relieved to be back!




This is a girl wild about puzzles!



D-O-N-E with swim lessons! Ms. Keeley said she was a very strong swimmer. She didn't want to put her face under but was polite about it, didn't kick and scream. Keeley said one time though she was holding her out in the middle of the pool, and Cress didn't want to do what she asked. So she just turned, put her face down, and kicked her way over to the side of the pool. Keeley said, 'well, we don't have to worry about her!' The last few minutes of the last class was a show for the parents. HG and I hopped out of the car, and we immediately heard screaming- it was Cressey! So we took off running and found her swimming- although not happily- across the pool. After it was done, she was so proud of herself and kept asking, "Mama, you proud of me?"


Front yard picnic with the Ducks



Seeing Poppy for the first time in months at HG's classmate's birthday drive by



When Cress wakes up, she'll come downstairs to get her ipad, take it back upstairs, and lay in bed playing for a while. She is adamant about keeping her bedroom door closed. One morning, she let Blue come in there with her, and I rolled over to find this cuteness!



And some beautiful, happy-tear-inducing pics from our grandparent reunions and first hugs as we came out of quarantine















No comments: