Wednesday, May 11, 2011

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Today, as we were driving along, I heard Helen Grace counting in the backseat. I realized that she was counting in sequence, so I turned down the radio and heard her count up to five all on her own. I couldn’t believe my ears, so I asked her to do it again. And sure enough, she counted from one to five! I was shocked! (Apparently, she’s been practicing with her grandmamas.) I laughed and said, “Helen Grace, I think you might be smarter than your Mama!,” and in her cute little voice, she said, “Yeeesss!”

On a sweet note, Helen Grace trumped us all on a Mother’s Day gift. She has been calling John’s mom, ‘Jeannie’ or ‘Jenny,’ since she hears us call her that, and Jeanne has been desperate for her to call her ‘Grandma.’ Helen Grace has come out with all of her other grandparents’ names EXCEPT for Grandma. Jeanne has been going batty! And all of a sudden, on Monday afternoon, Peg asked HG to hand something to Grandma, and she turned to Jeanne and said, “Here, Grandma.” AH!!! AT LAST!! Grandma is on Cloud Nine, and we’ve had fun asking her to say it at random times. Isn’t it neat to hear new words come out of your toddler’s mouth for the first time?! I have noticed that HG has started calling me ‘Mama’ again after switching to ‘Mommy’ for the longest time. The last time she called me that, it was really more like ‘Ma Ma,’ but now she says it the way I still call my Mama. Such a big girl. I could EAT HER UP.

No comments: