Monday, July 26, 2010

Tidbits from our 14-Month Old

In honor of Helen Grace’s 14-month birthday yesterday, let me share some things she’s been up to lately.

Friday afternoon, Helen Grace got to experience her first trip to Hairlines for a highlight- my hair, not hers, for the record. What a momentous event! I just needed a little section fixed, so she sat in my lap while Jan highlighted one little area. She just stared at that foil, wrinkled her forehead, and tried to snuggle closer to me. She was so confused!

She has learned how to give sherberts now. We were all sitting on the couch the other day, and she gave me a kiss on my leg. That was all her daddy needed to teach her how to give a sherbert. After a few tries, she caught on, and she just cracked herself up at how funny that sound was!

Helen Grace loves to put on flip flops. She can even get the right toes between the thong. Grandma found some flip flops that are just her size since she was frustrated that she couldn’t walk around in grown-ups’ flip flops.

John and I often make a “baby sandwich,” where we put her in the middle of us and give her a big hug. Now, anytime she sees us hug, she runs over to us, clings on our legs, and squeals until we put her in between us. Very cute!

Tonight, as we were getting her ready for bed, I said, “HG, where is your toothbrush?” She gives me that “I don’t know” shrug and then points to the top of the bookcase…where I keep her toothpaste. And I thought that I had been able to keep its location a secret- silly me! She loves the toothpaste so much and throws a huge fit when she sees it because she wants the whole tube. Apparently, she is a LOT smarter than I gave her credit for, and she knows exactly where the toothpaste and often the toothbrush is. Watch out!

She demands to go up and down stairs- will not be carried on them anymore. Note to self:  Buy a one-story house next time.

Now that she is running around so much, that little pitter patter of her feet truly brings tears to my eyes at times. I have always looked forward to that sound and experience of parenthood, but you just can’t adequately understand the joy of it until it’s your baby’s feet and huge proud smile running toward you and making that noise. Sniff, sniff.

Displaying her stair stepping ability at her friends’ first birthday party…Happy Birthday, Abigail and Connor!stairstwins bday

No comments: