Sunday, May 10, 2009

Me? A Mother? Really?

What a fun weekend! My fabulous friends threw Helen Grace and me a shower on Saturday morning, and I just had an absolute ball getting to catch up with friends and family. Everyone made me feel so special, and I am very lucky to be surrounded by such thoughtful people. Two of my favorite things that the hostesses did for us...first, they asked the guests to write a note to Helen Grace in a Guess How Much I Love You anniversary edition book, which will be a very, very special book to us to read together for years and years to come. Also, they researched Helen Grace's birth flower, and June's flower is a rose. Instead of a corsage, they bought a beautiful rose bush that Brandy has promised to help me plant in our yard. We'll be reminded of this special day with every bloom! Pics from the shower to come in the next few days...

Saturday night, we celebrated Mother's Day with our parents by taking Jeanne and Peg for their first trip to the Hollywood Cafe in Tunica. You know the Marc Cohn song, "Walking In Memphis" where he talks about Muriel playing the piano down at the Hollywood? This is the place. I think that Peg had her mouth open for most of the drive down there and the first few minutes inside, but soon we all fell in love with the ambiance that Moma and Daddy have been telling us about. They have been obsessed with this place since they rediscovered it several months ago. The steak was to die for- so tender you could cut it with a fork, we loved the guy singing and playing his guitar (even though he didn't look a thing like James Taylor), and we were big fans of the pregnant kitty cat, Pickles. Did you know the Hollywood is the home of the original fried pickles? I consider John to be the connoisseur of fried pickles, and he says they rank right up there with Ajax's so you know they're good!

Today, I went to church with Bubba in Byhalia, and the preacher called me out for not taking a Mother's Day flower! I just don't feel like I can raise my hand and say I'm a mother when I haven't been through the pains of labor yet- give me another month or two, and I won't be so shy to stand up and get my flower! :) Then we met Moma and Daddy for lunch while John went to see a movie with Jeanne and Peg. When I took Bubba back home, William stopped in for a quick visit, and both he and Bubba got to feel Helen Grace move at last!! Whew, what a relief- she has been playing hard to get lately! I've spent the afternoon relaxing with the kitties and trying to find the energy to put together a swing or a pack-n-play...but this couch is so much more comfortable!

Our 35-week appointment is coming up this week, and we'll see if I've started progressing and be tested for Strep B. Whew, the countdown is beginning- it's a little scary!

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women in my life...none of us would be the people we are today without our mamas and their unconditional love and support!! You give me a lot to live up to!!



No comments: