Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Catholic

Well, I have finally taken the plunge…into the Catholic church! Helen Grace has officially been accepted into St. Agnes for 4K in the fall (5 days a week, 8:15 am-2:45 pm, uniforms and everything- don’t get me started with first handing me a Kleenex). With HG attending a Catholic school and being baptized into the church as an infant, I felt compelled to understand their doctrine and be able to explain what she was learning at school. And it’s also important to me that all of us go to church together as a family. 

Father Carl Hood is a childhood friend of John’s, and his parents live down the street from Jeanne to this day. He married us in 2006 and serves as the priest at St Therese Little Flower in north Memphis, so I chose to do my RCIA classes there on Sunday mornings. So far (since Sept and until Easter in March), I’ve enjoyed learning about the Catholic church, although the deacon who teaches it might retire from exhaustion after being constantly peppered with my questions.

I recently attended my Rite of Election ceremony at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, which was presided over by Memphis Bishop Terry Steib. It was really special to have the bishop there leading the ceremony and in such a beautiful cathedral. One step closer to Easter!

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!st agnesrite of election1 Peggy, Jeanne, Janice (another classmate), Bishop Steib, Janice’s sponsor, me, and Johnrite of election2

No comments: