Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Fly on the Wall

John has recently been a fly on the wall to some conversations between Helen Grace and I that he thought were pretty funny. Just a little sampling of the craziness overheard in the Toohig household with a wild two year old…

As soon as I got out of the shower one morning, Helen Grace decided she needed some sketti for breakfast- and right then. I ran to the kitchen in my towel, warmed up some noodles, dropped them and some applesauce at her place at the table, scooped her up onto her seat, and ran back to finish drying off. When I came back to check on her in a few minutes, applesauce was ALL over her placemat. I asked her, “Helen Grace, did you eat any of it, or did you just smear it everywhere?” Very honestly and matter of factly, she answered, “I smeared it everywhere.”

She was set on trying to wear her placemat as a hat. When she got frustrated, she asked me why it didn’t stay on her head. “Because, baby, that’s not a hat; that’s a placemat.”

Helen Grace has been increasingly interested in the presents under the tree, especially the ones that she sees with her name on them. John observed her ‘interest’ one night and came to get me. The box for one of her gifts is a rectangle but has one side of the top cut out, so as she had been investigating, the wrapping paper tore and was hanging open. I had a big grown up moment when I caught myself lecturing her on how I was going to return her gift to the store the next time she tried to open her present. She immediately burst into tears and hid behind the curtain, although when I told her this was just a warning and I wouldn’t return this gift, she calmed down. Drama mama!

Checking out the new gifts that had shown up under the tree while she napped…so excited!new presents

While we were driving to brunch this morning with Grandma and Peggy, Helen Grace was playing with a little toy cow. Out of nowhere, HG starts yelling, “Poo! Poo!” Grandma was sitting next to her and jerked into action. “Where, Helen Grace, where?!” “The cow. Poo. See the cow’s poo?” Ummm, well, it turns out that it was a *bull* cow that was anatomically correct, and she just thought it was poo on the cow’s bottom. We all DIED laughing when we realized what she was talking about! Oh, Lordy, the conversations that are to come!

And just a random pic from the week after a one hour nap. She was super clingy and demanded on crawling into my lap in that instant. To top if all off, she was not happy with Daddy taking a pic. Welcome back, Terrible Two’s! We just thought you had left the building!

floor

No comments: