Saturday, October 27, 2012

Lately

Tuesday night, the dreaded cough returned. I started her on her albuterol inhaler several times a day, and while it didn’t really get rid of the coughing, she never started wheezing or panting. Friday morning, I planned on taking her in for her flu shot, so I made an appointment for the doctor to take a look at her. Dr. Vargo (who is one of the best peds ever!) heard a crackle in her right lung that he couldn’t get comfortable with, so he gave her a breathing treatment. (She acted like a feral cat when they came in with the machine. It took a call to daddy and the help of the respiratory therapist to get her to take it.) The doc still heard the crackle, so he sent us for a chest x-ray. (Thankfully, she acted like an angel and fully cooperated for the x-ray, including taking off her shirt and dress, climbing up on the table by herself, and laying down on her tummy.) They didn’t see a big, defined wedge of fogginess in the lungs like you sometimes do for pneumonia, but it was more than just mucus and something to take seriously. So now she’s back on antibiotics and being treated for light pneumonia. Will it ever end?!?! We didn’t get our flu shots as expected (for which she is ESCTATIC!), but we did learn that she is now 40 inches tall and weighs 36 lbs. She’s still coughing but less often, and we’re using this slow, inside day for potty training. More on that lovely topic later.xray

And some other Toohig Tidbits…

Shockingly, even though my child is surrounded by loved ones from the North, her Southern roots- and accent- have proven to be very thick. She was riding along with Grandma and Peggy recently, and as they went up a hill, she said, “Hill- that rhymes with ‘heel’- like on my foot!” As much as Grandma tried to correctly pronounce the two words for her, she insisted they sounded the same. I can’t help but laugh out loud every time I think of that story!

When we were drawing a picture of a house the other day, she asked me to draw a kid in the window, and then she put a piece of tape over the window to be the glass. She said, “It's important to keep an eye on the children.”

She loves to call Peg by her whole name- Peggy Philbin.

I was covering her with kisses one morning, and she said, “That's enough hugs, Mommy. Get outta my face.” Well okay then! But then she also told me, “You're my best friend.” I guess I’ll take the nastiness for the sweetness. A preview into her teenage years? :)

She told me one morning, “If I'm upstairs in my bed, my arms aren't long enough (to reach you), but if I'm in your bed, they're juusst right.”

One night at bedtime, she said she wanted to say our ‘thank you lords.’ Confused, I said, “Sure, go right ahead.” She closed her eyes, bowed her head, and said, “Thank you, lords, for everything. Amen!” She’s also started interjecting during our bedtime prayers. As I say, “Help us to be good friends,” she’ll pop up with, “I AM a good friend!” “Help us to be patient.” “I AM patient!” Or as I say, “Please let Baby Girl know how much we love her,” she’ll say, “I love you too, Mama!”

No comments: