Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dream of a Day

Today started out like a dream. We all got up, clean, and out of the house in time for mass. And Helen Grace was pretty much an angel during the service. She kept herself busy by rearranging the hymnals, coloring and playing with her Dora stickers, and flipping through her on-a-ring flashcards. She started to walk up to get communion with Daddy, but then “beckoned” for me with that cute little wave, so she and I went up to get blessed by Father Ed together. Afterward, the three of us went to McAlister’s, where Helen Grace continued the angel behavior. She ate her turkey sandwich, stayed inside the booth, and covered me in kisses and hugs. She fell asleep within minutes of getting back in the car, so we dropped off a sleeping baby at Grandma’s and headed to Gould’s for a massage (thanks to Granddaddy and Spif for Valentines- whoo hoo!). John had a soccer game late in the afternoon, but I headed home to pick up the baby girl and get OUTSIDE. It was a beautiful, sunny day in the 70s- a huge tease for springtime. We played on the playground at Lewisburg Elementary, and she LOVED the big girl slide. I would help her up the ladder and then waited on her at the bottom. I think this seals the deal…my baby is all grown up. After playing hard for a good hour, she conked out on the ride home, and she slept for an hour and a half in her bed. Finally, at 6, I decided to needed to wake her up so she’d sleep tonight. BAD idea. She woke up crying and cried solid for 45 minutes. Wouldn’t take a sippy, wouldn’t eat, wouldn’t be held, wouldn’t sit up. John and I tried it all. The only thing that finally stopped the tears was to sit in my lap at the kitchen table and eat some ice cream. Whew, ice cream to the rescue! And then as quickly as the tears came, they dried and we had a fun bath time together. She played happily in the den until bedtime, when she told me she was ready for bed. I got a little snuggle time while we read some books and then put my love bug to bed.

Being a mama is HARD and has some very challenging moments (or hours) on a pretty much regular basis, but I wouldn’t trade those sweet kisses, running-to-you hugs, big ole grins, and “Mommy!’s” for anything.

Fun at Grandma’sCIMG7752 Honk! Honk!CIMG7754 CIMG7756 CIMG7757 CIMG7758 One of my favesCIMG7760

Running on the fort

*Flying* down the big girl slide

No comments: