Saturday, June 6, 2009

First Week

How fast time flies! Helen Grace turned a week old this past Monday, and it has been a wonderfully exciting week! She has been a very easy baby so far and really doesn't fuss other than when she's hungry. John and I are still figuring out a way to manage her feeding schedule so that we can both get enough sleep, and that's been a challenge but we are taking it day by day. He is such a great daddy and a HUGE help to me- I have no idea how I could do this without him, and it's stinkin' adorable to watch him with her. Such an amazing new phase of our relationship!

I am muddling my way through breastfeeding. I feel like it gives HG and I some much needed bonding time since I missed basically her whole first day of life, but it doesn't come naturally to me. Also, it doesn't make it any easier that everyone- lactation nurses, pediatricians, friends, etc.- has different opinions about it. You just have to listen to their advice and figure out what works best for you and your baby. One thing I have learned is that Fenugreek is a must if you need help with milk supply. Also...close your ears, boys...if you want to have any freedom while you are pumping, find a bra that you can hook up with your pump so that your hands are free. It has given me so much sanity back! (Let me know if you need help finding one.)

Helen Grace has had a busy schedule this week. She conks out in the car and didn't make a peep on any of her outings, even when my doctor's appointment included a two-hour wait. We'll see how long that lasts!
  • Wednesday we went back to the hospital to see the lactation experts so they could weigh her and make sure mama was doing everything right. She had gotten back up to 5 pounds 2 ounces, so something is working! We were so excited!!! We were a little nervous about taking her back to the hospital that we worked so hard to get out of, but they let us leave with her! :)
  • Thursday we had to go back to my doctor for a checkup, and all was well. My incision is healing well and my swelling in my legs and feet was minimal. (Another "close-your-ears-boys" moment...if you have a c-section, make sure you have a ton of granny panties on hand. I had no idea of what to expect, and these are a must. Enough said.) Next appointment in 4 weeks!
  • Friday we took her to her first pediatrician's appointment, and she's gained another pound or so- yay! She checked out perfectly and has to go back at 2 months for her shots. I need to start preparing myself now for that. We couldn't even make ourselves take off a band aid on her arm, granted it felt like it was super glued on. We asked the pediatrician to be the bad guy and peel it off, and he gladly helped us out.

We have been completely overwhelmed by our friends and family's love and support during this time. Thank you so much for checking on us, bringing food, sending flowers or cards, coming to meet her, etc. Helen Grace is so blessed to have this circle of friends to watch over her and love her as she grows up, and her mama and daddy are forever grateful.

I'm one week old!

Helen Grace and her daddy have a nightly ritual- a nap on the couch.
What a cutie patootie!
I still can't believe she's mine! I get to keep her!

Her first doctor's appointment...I was cheesing out her daddy with the pics, but I had to document this milestone!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad things are going well for you. The best advice for breastfeeding is exactly what you said...do what works for you. but, don't be afraid to ask for help!!
She is adorable!

The Wren's said...

so sweet! I can't wait to meet her Sha! Glad everything is going well.