Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Quest for Sleep

Is this God's way of preparing me for the days ahead of having a newborn and no sleep? I have absolutely nothing on my agenda today. I have no one to tend to. My house is as quiet as a mouse. The rain is pouring down. I could have slept until noon. But what time did I wake up? 8:15. Really?! So I thought I would get a bowl of cereal and feed the cats, and then I'd surely fall back to sleep. Nope! I've been wide awake all day!

My 33-week appointment this week was good. My doctor was pleased with my low blood sugar readings, so she said if they stay stable for one more week, I can reduce my testings to twice a day instead of four times a day- yippee!! Also, Helen Grace is still growing right on track, and her heart rate was 148. In the last few weeks, I have felt what I thought was her balling up, and I can just rub my tummy and she relaxes. But I learned from my doctor that what I have been feeling is actually Braxton Hicks contractions. It blows my mind that I'm far enough along for these- wow! I go back in two weeks for my 35-week appointment, and depending on if I'm beginning to dilate (SCARY!), I might start my weekly visits then.

My mind is racing with things that I need to be getting together. Two main questions are running around in my head, and I'd love your help with them.

1. I'm meeting with a potential pediatrician this week. What do I need to ask him?

2. I'm starting to think about packing a bag for the hospital for Helen Grace and me. What are the must-have's for the hospital that you wish you would have had with you?

I'd love any help you might be able to offer!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Hi, Sha! I have to tell you- sleeping for 8:15 sounds SO good to me right now. That's LATE, lady! Relish that.

Be sure to take a robe and jammies so you can change out of your hospital gown if you want to. You will also want to take nursing bras and get some of those soothie breast pads you put in the fridge (if you are breast feeding- it can be hard on you at 1st).

Who are you interviewing? We were going to go to Laurelwood Pediatrics (heard some not great things) but ended up with Dr. Catherine Chidester at the Yukon Clinic- LOVE HER! Dr. Yukon is supposed to be awesome, too. I honestly can't think of what we asked- I'll try to work on that...

Congrats again and enjoy these last few weeks of rest!

-Morgan