Saturday, October 6, 2012

Toohig Tidbits

A quick update on ‘school’…we are three weeks into our Wednesday morning Bible study at Hope Pres, and the nursery couldn’t have gone any easier. She was so excited about being in a ‘big girl’ class- the 3’s- which is at the very end of the hall. As we walk to her new classroom, we pass all the other rooms she’s been in and is so proud that she’s not a baby anymore. On the first day, she literally ran into her class, not even waiting for me to sign her in, and has been so excited about it each week. When I pick her up, she’s too busy playing to be watching for me, so I always have to holler at her that it’s time to go. At this age, they are really able to teach them a lesson that sticks with them, and I love to hear what she learns about Jesus each week. The only hiccup has been that they don’t have diaper changing facilities in this new classroom. Ugh. But they’ve been willing to help by changing her in another room, and we ALL hope this won’t be an issue much longer. I am so thankful that the women of Hope have made her adjustment to nursery and preschool so easy and are fostering a love of school. That makes this mama so happy and so much more at ease!

As far as Maples’ MDO, she’s loving it as well. She hasn’t had a single bad day, although I’m preparing for that to come at some point. They get a daily report card with smiley, straight, or frowny faces for different areas, and she prides herself on telling me each day that she got all smileys. She has gotten a straight face a time or two for bathroom behavior when she hasn’t been easy to change her diaper. {Are you seeing a pattern here?} She is enjoying dance class there on Thursday as well, and every now and then, she’ll show me some of her new moves. They are getting ready to be tumbleweeds in a wild west version of the Nutcracker in November. We are all loving hearing pieces of her school day with new songs. We’ve recently heard a flag song to the tune of “My Fair Lady” that talks about the stripes and stars and ends with “my dear country” with a hand over your heart- so cute! Also, there’s a weather song that’s sung to the tune of “Clementine.” Also, on a non-school day, she’ll mention that she misses Mrs. Maureen.  One Tuesday morning at 6:30, she told me she was ready to go to school right then. I said that Mrs. Maureen wasn’t awake yet, and she asked, “Where does Mrs. Maureen sleep in my classroom?” Ha!

She likes to tell me that she wants to be a mommy like me and that she’s a mommy to her kitties and her babies.

She loves to ask for and give others ‘privacy.’ Well, at least she says that…if only she’d give me more than 30 seconds of privacy when I’m in the bathroom!

She finally enjoys brushing her teeth and is obsessed with not getting cavities- like Mommy has. Although, I have to admit, half of the time that she freaks out about brushing her teeth is when she’s in bed and is trying to get out of bedtime.

Her most recent hilarious stall technique at bedtime:  “Mama, I LIKE to sleep with my eyes open!” Also, when I’ve tried to leave her before she’s fallen asleep, she has actually pulled out, “Do you not love me, Mama?! Do you not want to be with me?!” Does this level of emotional manipulation really start at three???

She’s gotten into this phase where she wants to sleep on the floor in our room- I’m guessing from napping at MDO?? But after a few minutes of our laying on the floor the other day, she rolled over to me and said, “This isn’t working, Mommy.”

She’ll randomly pop off little blown kisses to me- in the car, passing by, sitting in my lap, as she falls asleep. The sweetest reward of being a mama is getting an unsolicited kiss!

It’s such a surreal experience to hear hauntingly familiar words come out of your child’s mouth and know she only got them from one person…

  • She exclaimed, “Child of mine!,” just like I do to her when I’m exasperated with/laughing at her.
  • When she’s talking about what a big girl she is now, I tell her that I’m sad she’s not a baby anymore. She echoed my usual comment when she said, “But I’ll always be your baby, Mama.”
  • Sleeping in Mama’s bed or getting cookies after dinner are “special treats.”
  • When she is NOT happy with me and is throwing a fit, she’ll repeat (in her screaming tantrum voice), “Listen to me! Listen to me!” so that she can tell me her solution to the problem…which is usually, “I don’t want to do X because I don’t want to do X.”
  • When we were eating with Finley the other day and she freaked out when her mama went to the bathroom with Callum, HG got in her face and said very calmly, “Calm down. Calm down. Look at me, Finley. Look at me. It’s okay!”
  • She gave Momo a kiss on the cheek and then said, “Oh, no, Momo- I got lipstick on you!” She then licked her finger and wiped his face.

She’s obsessed with this cat. Luckily, he’s the most laidback cat ever.momo1 momo2 She had to mimic Momo’s position.momo3 The girl sleeps like a wild woman. She could be laying perpendicularly to the pillows or even with her head at the end of the bed.sleeping crazy MDO wears a girl out! She and Tink passed out before they even made it to bed.sleeping beauty Mommy’s sous chefsous chef

No comments: