Sunday, July 8, 2012

Our Little Fish…Or Maybe Not…

Last week was Helen Grace’s first experience with swim lessons. We signed her up with Miss Gwin’s Swim School in Olive Branch for a two-week session of group lessons (Mon-Thurs, 5:30-6:30), and I liked that she lets the parents stay but on the other side of the yard. She has a ton of helpers which lets her lead age specific groups, and since there was only one other three year old, she spends a lot of one-on-one time with each child.

On Monday, she was excited about seeing new friends, but when it came time for the kids to walk over to the pool, she attached herself to my leg. One of the teenage helpers pulled her off of me, picked her up, and walked to the other side of the yard. She freaked out for a minute but soon calmed down. She was 50/50 with being interested in getting in the water. Sometimes, she would eagerly go to Miss Gwin and get in the pool, and other times she fussed while she picked her up and got her wet. Overall though, she was really happy afterward and so proud of herself. I asked her if she liked it… “Yes!”  Did she like Miss Gwin… “Yes!”  Did she want to come back the next day… “Yes! I was just a bit whiny.” Hilarious!

On Tuesday, she went easily with the other kids over to the pool (thank goodness), and at first, she went willingly to Miss Gwin to get in the pool. Soon though, I heard her start whimpering and “I want my lovey!!!!” And it didn’t stop. I let her cry for about 20 minutes, and finally, the mama bear in me had to go over there. It took me forever to get her to calm down- “Miss Gwin put me in the pool!! Whaaaaa!” Well, that’s kind of the point of swim lessons, but that wasn’t what she wanted to hear. I finally convinced her to sit down on the side of the pool and watch the other kids for the rest of the class. She was ecstatic when it was time to go and she could finally get her hands on lovey.

Wednesday was July 4th, so we went back to class on Thursday. I had been giving her a pep talk for days, and I was thankful that the first part of the class was a safety video inside. Only half an hour of pool time! Unfortunately though, she refused to get in the pool at all. She sat on the side and watched, but she barely even got wet.

Today, as John and I were prepping her for Monday’s class, she said, “I tired of swim class.” We’re hoping a little Gracie Bleu bribery will do the trick!

CF6C2742 CF6C2756 CF6C2761 “Just a bit whiny”CF6C2764swim lessons

No comments: