Friday, November 11, 2011

Sick Baby

Helen Grace rarely gets sick- she’s only had two ear infections in two years- for which I am very grateful. So when she does come down with a cold, she is pretty pitiful. On Sunday night/Monday morning, she started getting stuffy, and by that night, she had a horrendous cough. After two nights of no sleep for anyone in the family, it was time for a doctor’s visit. I tried to prepare her by telling her there would be no shot, and while she was calm on the ride, all hell broke loose when we pulled into the parking lot. Guess the flu shot visit was still fresh in her mind. When I tried to get her out of the car, she slid out of her car seat and into this heap on the floor of the car.hiding from doc It didn’t get any better. She went totally limp when I tried to carry her, crying hysterically. Throughout the whole waiting room wait, the poor nurses’ attempts at taking her temp and weight, and even the visit with the doctor, she was flailing and slapping at anything she could reach, even yanking the doc’s stethoscope. I have never had a more embarrassing mommy experience. After all that, the verdict was that her ears were clear but she had a ton of drainage in her throat. We left with a script for Amoxicillin (to be taken along with Mucinex) and a happy baby (once we got to the car). Although she did NOT get the Gracie Bleu she was promised if she were a good girl, she did ask to go to school, so off we went. And after two days of trying to get this medicine down her, I finally figured out the trick. She likes the cherry flavor of Mucinex but not the Amoxicillin, so I pour both of them into a measuring cup, mix them together, and suck them into the dropper. The meds go right down by little birdie’s throat- whew!

My pitiful baby girlpitiful She didn’t even make it to her bed before passing out this night.couch

On a brighter note, here are some things my little Miss Priss has been up to...

She says, “Pssst!,” to get your attention.

The easiest way to get her out the door to Grandma’s on Mama’s work days is to remind her that she and daddy will ‘chase’ the school bus. She is fascinated with buses and going fast in the car.

She has  a new obsession with Taco Bell. Must be genetic. If we pass a restaurant that is brightly colored, she says, “Taco Bell?!”

After one of her sleepless nights this week, she told me, “I grumpy.” No kidding, child- so is Mommy!

When she is pretending to run a store (usually Gracie Bleu) or wants you to pretend to be someone, she’ll walk up to you and say, “Hi, ma’am!”

To wear her out before bedtime, John will chase her in circles around the house, much like his mom did to him as a child. I’ve heard the stories but of course was never able to witness John’s childhood; however, I recently got a glance into what it must have been like. One night this week, I picked up HG at Grandma’s around 7:00 p.m. Grandma was chasing HG at full speed around her house- through the foyer, living room, pub, kitchen, dining room, and back again. HG had the same glint in her eye and crazy laugh that I’m sure her daddy had 30 years ago running in that same loop!

As she pets Rebel or Mocha, she’ll say, “Sweet boy!”

When something doesn’t go right, she’ll say, “Oh, boo!” or “Whoopsy daisy!” Isn’t it funny how your children will teach you what you say too much?

Most anything is “pretty cute,” and she starts each day by popping out of bed and squealing, “Sun’s out!” {Except for one morning when she walked herself downstairs and into our room and said, “Hi, Mommy! It’s foggy.” She obviously stopped to glance out the window to check out the weather!}

‘Rainbrella’ means ‘umbrella,’ and ‘nosey’ is something that comes out of her nose…usually on her finger…ewww!

Pretending to be a ducky, complete with shaking her tail feathers

And I’ve finally figured out the secret to taking a shower alone (and in peace) with a toddler in the house- squeaker shoes! I heard every single move she made so that I didn’t have to worry where she was. Also, after my shower and while I was on the phone with Grandma, Helen Grace had some fun with the toilet paper roll.

“What?! What I’d do?!”tp

No comments: