Friday, November 18, 2011

My Little Sweet Pea

Helen Grace has been so cute and sweet lately. Case in point…

pedicure  Mommy getting a foot rub

She saw John rubbing my feet one time, and at first, she fussed at him but then realized how much I liked it so she started ‘helping’ him. The other night, I was joking around and asked her if she wanted to rub my feet. Well, wouldn’t you know, she walked right into the bathroom, grabbed the right lotion, and went to town lathering up my feet. Jackpot!!

She’ll often say, “I love you too,” out of nowhere. Hilarious that she adds the ‘too’ on there, even when no one said ‘I love you’ first. And she’s been giving spontaneous kisses. My girl has always been a sweet one, but in the last year or so, she hasn’t really been one to hand out lots of kisses…until now. Whoo hoo for Mama! She even woke up one morning blowing kisses like crazy. Who can have a bad day after getting off to that kind of start?!

When we were playing one morning, she told me to pretend to be the baby and she was the mommy. I was supposed to be sick, so I was crying. She came over to me, put her arm around my shoulder, patted me, and said, “It’s ok, sweetie.”

She went to sleep the other night with both of her hands holding my hand. {Tear} And the child is a ‘pumper’ as she is falling asleep. John accuses me of being one too- he says I pump my foot against his leg. Apparently, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Just when I feel that I reach my limit of toddler meltdowns and am overwhelmed that I am sometimes the only one she wants to hold/feed/bath/comfort her, she jumps in my arms or wraps her arms around my legs in an all out fit and is instantly soothed. The ability to soothe my child is one of the gifts of motherhood that I have yearned for my whole adult life, and that helps take away *almost* all of the frustrations of the crazy moments.

snuggle

A little off topic of my *sweet* pea…

She’ll say, “Hush!,” to her babies when she’s playing mommy.

Over the last two weeks, she’s been waking up on her own and coming downstairs- and at a decent hour. Very nice! She’s only surprised us once in the middle of the night. I was too delirious at 3 a.m. to really notice, but I think it was storming really bad around that time so I’m sure that’s what woke her up. This morning, she walked into our room at the exact second our alarm clock went off, which scared her to death and had John and me in stitches.

One night, HG was using every excuse in the book to not go to bed. She pulled out the ‘hungry’ one which I can’t wholly ignore, right? I got her some animal crackers, and she was snacking on those while I read her books. Afterward, she came up with yet another excuse.

HG: “I need a glass of water.”

Mommy: “Why?”

HG: “I coughing.”

Mommy: “You haven’t coughed in hours.”

HG: {insert fake coughing here}

And I have to share a potty triumph moment!! This morning before her bath, she was running around naked, and like always, when she had to go, she asked for a diaper. Somehow, I was able to talk her into sitting on her potty instead. (I think it had to do with watching Fresh Beat Band on my phone.) She sat there for a few minutes, and then all of a sudden, the music on the princess potty went off and her face lit up! We did a potty dance and called Daddy and all her grandparents- she was so proud of herself! We’ll see if we can keep up the momentum now!

No comments: