Wednesday, September 14, 2011

We Made It!

Our moms’ group started back today, and I was scared to death about how Helen Grace would do after a whole summer of not being in the nursery. She was pumped up this morning about going to ‘school,’ and before I was even ready to leave, she asked me to ‘drive her to school.’ Well, ok! I threw myself together and got us in the car asap! As we drove, she asked if every building we passed was the church or her ‘school,’ and she was still excited when we got there. It all changed when we got to her room though. I walked around with her for a while, but eventually, I realized I was going to have to make a run for it- the fit was unavoidable. I slipped out the door while the teacher intercepted her, and I hid around the corner and listened for her to calm down- which took about 5 minutes or so. Once other kids started getting there, she chilled out. As soon as our meeting was over, I busted a move back to the nursery and found her freaking out on the changing table. She apparently had refused to have her diaper changed the whole time, so they finally had to tackle her to get it done. Of course, she was ecstatic to see me and stopped crying immediately. As we talked with her teacher, HG told me she had a fun time and that she wanted to come back next week, and the teacher told me she had one little kicking incident (grr). I turned to leave with her, and the child started pitching a fit. She wanted to go back and play with the trucks! What?! Can win for losing! I’ve been so nervous about our first day back that I’m just grateful it’s behind us!

Some funny things out of the mouth of my babe…

Helen Grace and I walked around the lake after dinner the other night. When she’d spot an acorn, she’d throw it into the lake. When she wasn’t able to get it far enough to hit the water, she would say, “It’s ok. I try again.”

HG, Spiffer, and I were sweeping bits of leaves out of our garage last weekend. Since we have very few trees on our lot, Spiffer said something out loud about, “Where do all these leaves come from?” Helen Grace stops in her track, looks at her like she’s an idiot, and says, “Trees!”

Today I asked Helen Grace what she wanted for lunch while we were out and about. Of course, she requested ‘sketti.’ I wondered out loud, “Now where am I going to find spaghetti?” She responded, “At the store.”

We have all had to be a ‘puppy’ lately for baby girl. She wants you to sit, fetch, and lick her, and she will pull out an imaginary treat from her back pocket for you if she’s happy with your performance.

She’s now tall enough to hang from her trapeze, and she’s quite the little monkey on it!

No comments: