Sunday, June 6, 2010

Good Ole Days

Today was a day that I want to remember every little detail.

I have been a nervous wreck the last few days as I try to figure out the best way to get HG off the bottle, to eat more table food, to help her teeth and her shots not hurt so badly, to get her to sleep without a bottle, etc., and I was wound so tightly that I told John last night that I wasn’t sure if I needed a therapist or a dietician more!

Today all of that stress faded away, and for a glorious day, things clicked and fell into place.

We had a lazy morning at the house with Helen Grace napping at the right times, going down easily, and sleeping for the appropriate lengths of time. Later John took HG for a walk so that I could get a good nap/quiet time just laying in a quiet house. Then we spent the afternoon at the Browns’ pool. Helen Grace frolicked in the pool with us for a while, and then she went next door to play with Grandma and Geggy while John and I enjoyed a good chin wag. We came home to grill out steaks and sit at the kitchen table with the back door wide open and enjoy a great meal. The weather was perfect, the food was delicious, and Helen Grace ate like a champ and was happy in her highchair. She clung to me most of the day like her life depended on it (I managed to cook half of dinner with her on my hip), yet she still climbed all over her daddy and loved on him.

The day was relaxed and balanced and just GOOD in every way, full of cuddles and sweet smiles. We had so many fun moments as a family of three that I just want to hang on to and remember. We hope to have a big family one day, and while that has always been a dream of ours, now the thought of Helen Grace not being the center of our world is a little sad. I wish that she could remember days like today where we had such fun quality time as a family, things seemed perfect, and she was our everything. I have held on to her a little longer than necessary today and just watched her sleep, hoping that somehow these memories will stay with her. I know that these moments are the ‘good ole days’ that we will look back on in 20 years and smile.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sha, don't worry. I had and still have similar feelings that your having but what I've discovered is as your family grows your love & gratitude towards your husband grows greater. And speaking from a family of 4 kids, I have felt every time a "new baby" has been born, we've had more fun, good ole days. Whether its Lilly pretending Adam's her babydoll & giving him kisses, or the boys giving Lilly a piggyback ride, or Adam flexing his muscles for the family. Watching your babies discover the world is fun & priceless no matter what. I feel CERTAIN Helen Grace is going to love a big ole family to play with & either way she's lucky to have you & John as her parents!

Heather said...

Sha, although I'm not glad you're feeling the way you're feeling, it is nice to know that other moms have been there! All the business about getting her off the bottle, etc will all just fall into place. I know with Savannah, I was nervous about it (as I think we moms are about most transitions) it took a week or two to transition. No worries.

Lately, now that she's walking/running everywhere and has to be monitored AT ALL TIMES she has really worn be out.....and I wonder, with another one on the way, "How am I going to do this??" And I totally know what you mean about her not being the center of your world. I can't really fathom that right now, and I even worry sometimes about how my heart is going to hold enough love! Sounds silly. Anyway, thanks for reminding me to stay in the moment today. Hope all is well with you guys!

Hope said...

that might be one of the sweetes things I've ever read. It brought tears to my eyes. I really can't wait to meet you and HG - I told John that at work yesterday. and to one day have a child of my own that brings me as much joy as Helen Grace brings to you and John.