Saturday, July 18, 2009

Gaining Weight

Our baby girl is growing like a weed! She now weighs 9 pounds 5 ounces and is 20.5 inches long. She has almost doubled her birth weight- can you believe it?! She's finally outgrown the preemie outfits and is wearing either newborn or 0-3 month clothes. I had mixed emotions when I packed away those itty bitty clothes. I am so thankful that she is healthy and getting big and strong, but I hate to see her growing so quickly because I know it will never slow down now. She is just so tall! I can really tell when we put her in the car seat, and she is almost as long as the newborn insert.

We have almost gotten the spit up problem under control by finding the right formula, thank goodness. That was not a fun stage! Now this hypochondriac mama is worried about her breathing. Since I have a brother that passed away from SIDS, I am very cautious and aware of her sleeping habits. We have an Angelcare monitor in her bed that sets off an alarm if she doesn't move or breathe in 20 seconds. It has been going off a lot since she's been in her bed, but we have been making all kinds of excuses. Now we have put a piece of plywood under her mattress, taken her off the wedge we were using for reflux, and kept her still in the middle of the bed, and it is still going off. Our doctor wants us to put her on a heart rate and breathing monitor for a few weeks to see if all of this is due to a faulty Angelcare monitor or if she is having some sleep apnea issues. I hate to make my baby go through all of this, but I would rather be safe than sorry. At least, it'll make ME sleep better knowing what's going on!

Our baby girl isn't the only person in our house gaining weight! We took Rebel and Mocha to the vet today for their shots, and while Mocha has lost half a pound (now weighs 8 pounds 2 ounces), Rebel has more than gained that much (now weighs 10 pounds 6 ounces). Rebel has gotten HUGE. The vet thinks that Mocha might be a little stressed by our new addition and is losing weight as a result, although we still see him chowing down all the time. Poor kitty! I know Mocha will be back up to his hearty weight in no time, once he gets used to the new smells and noises in our house.

Tonight I am celebrating that I have gotten ONE big thing off my to do list. While I was pregnant, I kept a journal of all our progress, emotions, and big events along the way. I am embarrassed to say that it hasn't been touched since we got home from the hospital, and I hated to have a big gap in documenting Helen Grace's life. I sat down last night and just wrote until my hand fell off. I got all the major details of her birth captured and most of our milestones since then. I feel like a huge weight is off my chest! Now, I MUST catch up on thank you notes. Please, please forgive me if you haven't received one yet. I strive to make thank you notes very personal to the giver as I know you worked hard to pick out a very personal gift for us, so bear with me as I find the time to attempt to adequately thank you for thinking of us!
Enjoy some pictures from our week!

I'm seven weeks old! July 13, 2009
She's really starting to notice shiny things and responding to sounds, so we got out some of her mirrors and rattles the other night. She had a blast checking everything out!
Loving her mirror!
And of course, Helen Grace loves her soccer rattle that the Lady Quistors gave her! She's our 'Future Star.'
Helen Grace got to meet Elizabeth and Rylie Nance this week when the Nances were in town. Rylie is almost exactly a month older than HG. Wish they lived closer to us! Rylie is a doll!
So I admittedly have a dress-up addiction now that our baby girl is fitting in more clothes. :) This is another outfit of mine from years ago. She wore it to meet Doty and Caroline Yates. Caroline was born on July 3rd, and we are so glad she is finally here! Caroline was taking a nap and HG was fussy, so we weren't able to properly document the meeting.As I put together pictures for this post, I noticed a common theme...a conked out baby! We've been on the go all week, so when we get home, she passes out!


1 comment:

Karen said...

I'm so glad to hear that Helen Grace is growing well!

Since Will was in the NICU we came home from the hospital on an apnea monitor. It's really not that bad. He had to wear it all the time at first and then just when he was sleeping after a month or so. He was off it completely after about two months. The alarm is LOUD when it goes off. If you seem to be getting a lot of false alarms, change the leads out. If the leads aren't getting a good connection, the alarm will go off unnecessarily.

Karen