Friday, December 7, 2012

Baking with Bubba

One of the staples of my childhood holiday memories are Bubba’s sugar cookies. I can remember William and I helping sprinkle on the sugary toppings and then devouring them as soon as they came out of the oven. Even the copper cookie cutters are as fresh in my mind as if I had seen them yesterday.

With the holiday season upon us, I asked Bubba to come over today and show Helen Grace how to bake her famous sugar cookies. HG was absolutely tickled pink.  Now, I admit that I don’t cook, but I do bake somewhat often and HG is *always* involved with my endeavors- but the girl acted like she had never gotten to help in the kitchen before! She kept squealing, “Baking is cool!,” to which Bubba would laugh and say, “What exactly does ‘cool’ mean?!” Hilarious! I think it was the rolling pin that really put her over the edge. She wanted to roll one side and let Bubba roll the other.

We are so grateful for this morning of baking with Bubba. I know this experience will now be a staple with Helen Grace and me during the holidays as well, complete with the same little copper cookie cutters from my childhood. :)

CF6C6278 CF6C6281 CF6C6299 CF6C6301 CF6C6307 CF6C6309 CF6C6312 CF6C6320 CF6C6326 Hmmm, I started noticing that HG slowed down on her sprinkling job and that all of the sprinkles weren’t making it on the cookies…CF6C6335 CF6C6339 And she keeps on sampling….CF6C6340

CF6C6347 CF6C6349 

Postscript:  If you notice HG holding her left shoulder, it’s because the two of us went to get our flu shots today. (We have had bad experiences with the flu mist, so after a lot of research, I choose to stick to the shot. I must be a glutton for punishment.) She wasn’t happy about going but was calm until it was her time. Then she went bat CRAZY. I mean, crazy enough that she said she’d rather get a spanking than the shot, and at the end of the day, she got both AND lost movie/tv privileges for the day. She did all but bite me and the poor male nurse as we tried to hold her still (he stuck her three times before he finally got her still enough), but another nurse came to our rescue and finally got it done. WHEW. She refused any Tylenol to ease her shoulder, but having Bubba here when we got home was the best distraction. She soon quit holding it and threw herself into baking. And by the afternoon, she was swearing she’d never throw a hissy fit (her words) again and begging for her videos. I stood strong, and I think I made my point. Next year though, I’m hiring a nurse to sneak in her room in the middle of the night and give her a flu shot- ha!

No comments: