Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Off to the Doc We Go

Sunday morning, Helen Grace woke up with a really stuffy nose. Monday night, she started coughing. Tuesday afternoon, Grandma called me at work, and the poor baby had started wheezing, panting to breathe, and was lethargic and not eating. I immediately left and met Grandma at the doctor’s office. I couldn’t have been more thankful for Grandma and Peggy to be there, especially because after this experience back in November, I swore I’d never go back with her alone.

She freaked out a little as we walked in, but Grandma and Peggy kept her entertained/distracted through the short wait. When it was our turn to go back to get weighed and leave G & P in the waiting room, she started crying a little, but somehow I was able to convince her it was ok to sit on the scale (30.8 lbs) and that the thermometer was tickling her. She calmed down and actually enjoyed getting her blood pressure taken and height measured (37 inches). She was so proud of herself as we waited in our exam room for the doc, and when Dr. Butler arrived, she even smiled and spoke with her. HG even let her listen to her heart and check her throat and ears, and she might even have enjoyed it!

Then, Dr. Butler told me what she wanted to do to her- a finger prick for white blood cell count, nose swab for flu, and a breathing treatment. WHOA! I had to call in Grandma for reinforcement. She was calm until the needle hit her finger and the blood sent her over the edge. Then, she jerked when the swab went up her nose which really hurt her. Finally, she had a sneezing fit when the mask hit her face.  All together traumatic. She eventually calmed down a little though, she almost fell asleep in my arms with the mask on her face, and afterward, the wheezing was very minimal.

The flu test came back negative, but her white blood cell count was really high. The verdict was either bronchitis or croup and she was very worried about the wheezing, so she sent us home with an antibiotic, steroids, and an inhaler. She slept relatively well (in our bed, of course), only waking up once for juice. Today, she has been WILD and BAD. I’m blaming the steroids. But her appetite and energy are back, and the wheezing only reappeared once the meds starting wearing off late this afternoon. I think we are on the way to recovery, thank goodness! It was terrifying to watch her struggle to breathe. I’m praying this is the extent of our winter illness.

Proud of herself for being a big girl, waiting for the docsick- table “Heehee, that tickles!”sick- doc Ok, this isn’t funny anymore.sick- breathing

Daddy caught us in a scarily similar position at bedtime. What can I say? She’s my girl!twins

No comments: