Friday, January 6, 2012

Funny Girl

HG has kept us in stitches with the things coming out of her mouth lately…

Helen Grace hasn't been sleeping well at night, so when she saw a new Curious George movie at Target last night, I told her I'd buy it for her and let her watch it tomorrow if she slept all night. She thought about it for a sec, turned and put it back on the shelf, and then walked away.

When I picked up HG from Grandma’s recently, Grandma opened a little Hershey’s bar that HG usually splits with Peggy. As she opened it, she noticed a bite out of the bar…about the size of a little girl’s mouth. She asked Helen Grace who ate the candy bar, and she said as calmly as can be, “Buster ate it.” (Buster is Grandma’s dog)

If you leave her line of sight, she’ll start hollering, “You disappeared, Mommy!” Lately, she’s transferred that to her budding career as a magician. She’ll cover up a grape with a napkin, say “Abracadabra!,” and then pick up the napkin- and act surprised that the grape is still there!

As we walked into a store here in town, I reminded her that we don’t touch things in stores, especially very fragile things like pottery. Of course, as I shopped around, I touched a bag or a shirt or a necklace, and HG urgently reminded me, “Don’t touch, Mommy!”

HG likes to holler from the back seat, “Go fast, Mommy!” When I told her once that I couldn’t go any faster since there were cars in front of us, her answer was, “Honk your horn!”

I was helping her get in her car seat the other day. I really don’t remember giving any words of wisdom, but maybe I suggested that she put down her sippy and then click her seat belt or something like that. She responded, “You’re a genius, Mommy!”

John was picking on HG the other night, and finally, she’d had all she could take. She turned to him and said, “Stop it, John!!!”

When she’s trying to get settled in the bed at night, she flops around and says, “I’m trying to get company (comfortable).”

When John and I are snickering at what she’s said, she’ll ask us, “Why you laughing at me?”

In the past, I’ve been able to occasionally get away with playing the radio in the car while HG watches her videos in the back without sound. (There’s only so much Barney a mama can stand.} She used to not mind just watching the video; however, recently we were all driving somewhere, and she said, “Can you turn off that stuff, that music? I can’t hear George.” Busted!

She loves to “help” her daddy exercise. She will direct him to do more push ups or sit ups, etc., and then she’ll randomly bust out with her own repetitions at times. She’s actually pretty creative. She’ll put her feet on the ottoman and her arms behind her on the arm of the chair (so that she’s in a sitting position) and push herself up and down. If only her mama had that much interest in exercising!

I love the way she says ‘band-aid’- “band age.”

She loves to tell you that the sun’s out in the morning…and that she doesn’t want to nap because the sun’s out…and you need to get out of bed because the sun’s out…it never ends.

When HG woke up from her nap today, I was climbing the stairs to get her, and I looked up to see her standing at the top of the stairs, looking like such a big girl. I asked her, "Where did this big girl come from?" She turned and pointed to her room. Touche, my dear, touche!

No comments: