Friday, April 1, 2011

Infection & Independence

Our poor baby is not feeling her best. After a very fitful night of 100 degree fever and coughing for Helen Grace and little sleep for any of us, Grandma took HG to the doctor on Thursday morning. The verdict: an ear infection in the works. I believe this is only the second one she’s had (the last one was this exact time last year), and while she is pitiful, I have to remember how lucky we are to have had so few. Thankfully, she did not inherit her Mommy’s ears.

Also, her independent streak continues to shine. Tonight, we ate dinner at a local pizza place that has two of those driving games in the back for the kids. She loves to sit in them and pretend to drive, and when we first got there, she had them all to herself. Later, two other little girls arrived, and I saw her try to swat at one of them who was sitting in the car. I jumped up and had a little talk with her about sharing and taking turns. She wasn’t happy about it, but she stood back and watched them play, patiently waiting for her turn. One of the girls noticed this and got down after a few minutes to let HG have a chance to play {very sweet}. Again, I ran back there to praise Helen Grace for being patient and sharing, and she beamed with pride! After dinner, two little boys arrived on the scene and took over the games. HG was a little intimidated and stood back to watch them play. One *finally* got out of one of the games, and HG made her approach and climbed into the car. He soon changed his mind though and tried to take over the seat. He pushed her, and she started bawling. Of course, the mama bear came out in me (since his mama was obviously nowhere nearby), and I jumped up and told him that it was time for *him* to share. He smartly backed off, and I tried to comfort Helen Grace. She looked at me with tears streaming down her face and told me to “Stop!” (with that little outstretched hand) and “Sit!” and pointed at our table. What?! My baby girl is now a big girl who wants to take care of things on her own, even when she is hurt. Gosh, am I ready for this???

No comments: