Friday, January 14, 2011

Remain with Me

Wednesday was the first day of the spring semester of our Bible study at Hope. With the disaster that was the first day of the fall semester (see here to reminisce about both of our breakdowns), I was VERY nervous about how she would do, especially since we’ve had such a long break over the holidays. We got there a little early so that she could warm up to it, and she easily walked into the common area of the nursery but wouldn’t dare cross into the actual nursery room. The nursery helpers were very welcoming, told me their names, asked questions about Helen Grace, talked sweet to her, but she still wouldn’t go. I finally had to pick her up, give her a kiss, and drop her into the room crying. She wouldn’t put her feet down, so one of the helpers had to pick her up. She was crying like crazy, but I stepped to the side of the door and she calmed down a lot in just a minute or two. Five minutes later, I got a text from a nursery worker that she was doing great. What a relief!

Because I knew HG was happy, I was able to really enjoy our speaker, Angela Thomas. We are reading her book, Tender Mercy for a Mother’s Soul, this semester. Her message really hit me, and it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time. She talked about how the only way that we as mothers can be “full” is by the grace of God. Nothing else can fill our “cup”- not our husbands, not by trying to be the best mom in the world, etc. Yet in this CRAZY season of our lives, we are often overwhelmed by trying to find time to fill ourselves up with the word of God. Angela was hilarious and shared with us how she finally found time was to lay on the floor in her bedroom while a DVD was playing for her kids in the other room or under her baby’s swing while he napped- whatever was available- and pray for a few minutes.

She shared with us the Upper Room dialogue in John 15:1-11- the last words that Jesus shared with the Disciples. Jesus repeats the word “REMAIN” over and over.

John 15  (New International Version)
The Vine and the Branches
1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[a] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

In other words… “Remain with Me even when your life is wild. Remain with Me even when you are exhausted. Remain with Me when you are bitter and frustrated. Stay with Me. Stay in My word. And I, and only I, will fill your cup.” Angela then pulled out an empty glass and poured water into it. She kept pouring until water spilled out over the top and splashed on the floor. “And what happens when your cup overflows? It overflows down onto those around you. Your children. Your husband.” What more can you ask for? She reminded me that by keeping my cup full, I will “bear fruit.” According to Galations 5: 22-23, “the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” When my cup is full, I can be more gentle, more patient, more calm in the eyes of my daughter and my family. That’s the best gift that I can give my child and will help me be the best mom I can be.

After the kick-off ended, I quickly said my goodbyes to my friends and made a bee line straight to the nursery. When I got to the door, I searched for a second and found Helen Grace in the room. One of the workers was changing her diaper, and as she stood her back up, she was laughing with her and tickling her and HG was giggling. It warmed my heart to see that kind of care for my child from a stranger, and as Helen Grace turned and saw me, she came running to me with a huge smile on her face. One of the workers told me that they all decided she needed a little brother or sister because she was such a big helper. I laughed because I’m not sure if she really was a good little helper or if that’s their way of saying she bossed everyone around! Regardless, I am very grateful that both us had a rewarding morning.

1 comment:

Hope said...

that was beautiful and came to me at the perfect time. Thank you for sharing your life and your family with me. I cherish all three of you- more than you know. :)