Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ho Ho Ho 2010

On Saturday morning, we set off to see Santa at Carriage Crossing. I had checked online before we left, and the hours were listed as 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. When we pulled up to the shopping center a little before noon, we thought it was weird that there wasn’t a line…and rightfully so. Long story short: Santa was temporarily unavailable until 2 p.m. Ummm, now what to do for the next two hours? By some stroke of luck, I had an extra outfit for her in my trunk, so we changed Helen Grace into a food friendly outfit and headed to the Crepe Maker.

Helen Grace was actually the most well behaved she has ever been. I am still shaking my head at how easy she was during that meal. We watched the chefs make the crepes, she sat in my lap and ate her crepe like a lady, and she even charmed our neighbors as she showed off her squeaker shoes. After lunch, I had to run to the restroom, and of course, my shadow had to come too. For the first time in a public restroom, she didn’t touch a thing and minded my every word. On that day (and for the most part on a regular basis), she was truly the definition of a trick child…one that is so good that they trick you into having another one! I remember thinking as we sat there that I needed to take in that sweet memory as a family of three. I know one day in the years to come that our meals will not be so peaceful!

We played around for the next 30 minutes or so, changed her back into her cute outfit, and then took our place near the front of the line that was forming for Santa. Finally, they opened the doors, and Helen Grace got so excited when she saw Santa walk in. She waved to him as we waited and seemed happy to see him…and then we had to walk toward him. She didn’t want to get close to him at all, and the cling-to-Mama was in full effect. Luckily, I had come prepared to jump into the picture, so I sat on down next to Santa. Haven’t been in that spot in a long time! Helen Grace wouldn’t even let me turn her around to face the camera, and they actually captured the only time she lifted her head off my shoulder. There was no crying, but she was just extremely shy and clingy.

Later that day, after we got home and recovered from our crazy Santa experience, Christmas came a little early at the Toohig house. Helen Grace found the singing Barney that we bought for her. And oh my gosh, she HAD TO HAVE IT! We thought that maybe she would forget about it if we took her in the other room, but after a few minutes of hysterical crying, we gave in. She has carried that Barney everywhere and has even slept with it. As much as Barney drives John and me crazy, we had to admit it was pretty dang cute to see her get so excited. I can’t wait to see how she likes the rest of her presents.

Ready to see Santa!CIMG6829Our little angel at the Crepe MakerIMG_0657 “Happy and you know it”IMG_0664 Waiting…CIMG6833 IMG_0666 And still waiting…IMG_0667 Now we are inside!IMG_0669She kept flirting with this little boy behind us in line, and they both clamored up on the bench when we got inside. I caught her trying to steal a kiss!CIMG6835Santa 12-04-2010_006_1 BARNEY!!CIMG6836 CIMG6838  CIMG6841 CIMG6842

No comments: