Sunday, December 26, 2010

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

I’m not sure what is more fun…experiencing Christmas morning and the joy of Santa as a child or as a parent. It was a-maz-ing to watch Helen Grace soak in all her goodies. Being a parent is just such a rewarding experience. As a child, Santa left me a trail of Hershey’s Kisses to find the tree and gifts, so he’s continued that tradition at our house. Helen Grace was really curious about the Kisses, and as we walked down the stairs, she would pick one up and chunk it down the stairs! At the bottom, she found an easel, tricycle, building blocks, and a little playhouse. She went straight to the easel- magnets, of course- but she really played with all of them a lot.

Granddaddy and Spif came over soon after to watch her play with Santa’s gifts and open their presents. When I was little, I had a wooden stool with my name carved into puzzle pieces in the top of it. Since I loved mine so much, my parents had one made for Helen Grace. She thought the interlocking letters were so neat and loved sitting on it too. Granddaddy and Spif also recorded her a Frosty the Snowman book, and that was a big hit!

After my parents left, we had a very laidback morning in our pjs, enjoying time together and letting HG play with her toys. Helen Grace and I watched the Disney Christmas Day Parade (she waved like crazy at Mickey and Minnie) and the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. As she sat snuggled next to me on the couch, we watched Jim James sing 'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,' and for some reason, I was overcome with emotion and the tears flowed. I have so much to be thankful for. I can’t imagine my heart being any more full of love.

When Helen Grace woke up from a nice, long afternoon nap, we headed to Jeanne’s for Christmas dinner with Bubba, Granddaddy, and Spif. HG was surrounded by all of ‘her people.’ She went from lap to lap and back and forth from the dining room to the TV to watch the Wonder Pets while the rest of us stuffed ourselves until we were miserably full.

After dinner, John passed out on a couch in the den, but a few minutes later, he was awakened by Helen Grace tugging on his hand. My dad saw her do this and tried to save him by offering to take her on the walk that they thought she was trying to take, but she insisted that she wanted her daddy. So John got up, ready for the walk, and what does Helen Grace do but climb up on the couch where he had been sleeping! Little rascal!

And on another exciting note, on Christmas Eve, ‘Uncle CB’ proposed to his girlfriend, Emily. We are excited to welcome her into the family!

Helen Grace’s walk down the stairs on Christmas morning…a bit long video but necessary for grandparents.

CIMG7155 CIMG7158 CIMG7159 CIMG7162 Maybe her legs are just a liiitle too short.CIMG7164 CIMG7166 CIMG7168 I think she likes it.CIMG7169

Playing with her new stool

Bubbles are cooler than sliced bread. This was taken before we spilled the whole bottle on the kitchen floor…thank goodness for tile floor.CIMG7175 After dinner ice cream at Grandma’sCIMG7177 CIMG7178 CIMG7180 She gave us a little concert.CIMG7182We must have bored her as we opened presents at Jeanne’s. She wanted to sit next to me on the couch and watch Barney.SAM_1172

Playing with Grandma on the slide…and throwing herself off the top into Grandma’s arms!

No comments: