Monday, August 2, 2010

Time for a HG/GG Visit

On Sunday, Helen Grace and I went to Jackson to pay a special visit to GG and our Jackson family. The last time they saw HG was at her birthday party, and while she had taken a step or two, she was not really mobile at all. And now…she’s chasing Worth and Grace Ann! What a difference two months can make! GA followed HG everywhere she went, so it was nice to have a mini mama so that I could visit more with the grown ups. :) It’s neat to see history repeat itself- Suzanne was my mini mama when I was little.

I asked HG the standard, “Where’s your belly button?” question to show them what she does, and then I asked her where Grace Ann’s belly button was. The two of them were standing facing each other, and HG leaned down and picked up the hem of GA’s dress! We all went, “Nooo!” at the same time and erupted in laughter ad GA’s face got red! Too funny- wish we had gotten that on camera.

HG really did pretty well on the drive. She slept for an hour or two each way, and My Favorite Pets and Clifford shows kept her entertained for the rest of the time. Every time Clifford would come on the screen, she would ‘woof,’ no matter how long it had been since she had seen him. She was cracking me up!

We met Daddy, Spif, and Granddaddy at McAlister’s for dinner when we got home, and we had a surprise visit from Bubba, Helen, and Carrie. (Carrie’s flight back to SC was delayed a day, so they spent the night in Byhalia.) Helen Grace gave them a great show of her extra energy from being cooped up in the car by running up and down the aisle squealing and wanting to be chased. Whew, it was nice to have so many people to keep her laughing!

These two are troubleCIMG5748 CIMG5750 Worth let HG play with his cell phone, so they were soon BFF.CIMG5751 Grace DeSha, Helen Grace, and Granny GraceCIMG5753 Spiffer entertaining HG with our usual game of ‘sort the sugar packets’ at dinnerCIMG5755

Helen Grace has a funny new trick of showing us ‘see food.’ She will stick out her tongue while she’s eating and show you all the food on her tongue. Not quite sure where that came from, but I’m blaming it on her daddy. ;)

Also, she continues to amaze me with what she can comprehend. This weekend, I was sitting at the kitchen table, and she was standing near the open pantry door. I asked her to close the door, and she walked over to it and shut it. Also, while we were driving on Sunday, she finished some juice and started to put the cup on the door ledge on the far side of her car seat. I stopped her and said, “No, don’t put it there. If you are done with it, let me have it and I’ll put it up here.” And she handed it to me! Maybe she just has good timing and I’m easy to convince that my child is a genius, but she amazes me constantly.

And to end on a really sweet note, one night last week, we had had a really busy night and HG was up past her bedtime. I got her in her pjs after a bottle and tried to calm her down, but she was still running around the den. After a few minutes though, she crawled up into my lap on the couch, curled herself around my arm, tucked her head into me, and fell right asleep. Wow, it felt like the days when she would just fall asleep in my arms and I’d lay here on the couch for hours just watching her sleep. I didn’t want to put her in her bed!

No comments: