Saturday, May 8, 2010

Silly Girl

On Friday morning, Helen Grace and I visited with Granddaddy Google (at his house) and Spif (at her school) while my car was getting an oil change. She always likes to pick on Bella (their cat), but Bella is getting tired of it. I think Helen Grace thinks that Bella is a dog since she looks so different from our cats- she will “Ffff!” at her!

After dinner on Friday night, I started feeling terrible. Achy, sore throat, chills, the whole bit. I took my temperature and had 100.2. What?! Where did that come from? After a z-pack and lots of rest, I am starting to feel better. Helen Grace spent the day between grandmothers (thank you, thank you!), and we hope we’ve spared her from my germs this time. The only thing worse than being sick on an airplane is an 11-month old being in pain on an airplane!

Helen Grace has been standing on her own for a good long while over the weekend. On Friday night when I didn’t feel good, my mom was here and was helping change HG into her pjs. When Spif was trying to get her shirt over her head, Helen Grace let go of the walker, pulled off her own shirt, and then stood there for a few more seconds. John took his first step at his grandfather’s cabin on Sunshine Mountain in New York- where we are going next week- so it will be interesting to see if Helen Grace follows in her daddy’s footsteps!

I’m looking forward to celebrating my first official Mother’s Day tomorrow with all the mothers in my life. I saw this quote on a friend’s Facebook page- “Motherhood is the toughest job that you will ever love.” How true! It is so worrisome to make decisions for this little child, not knowing how our choices will affect her in 20 years. And it is so frustrating to try to discipline her without really being able to communicate with her. Not to mention what the lack of sleep and pure exhaustion can do to your brain and body! But the moment that baby looks up into my eyes and gives me that little crooked smile, all of the stress of the difficult parts of parenthood disappears and my heart feels like it is going to explode with love. In the last few days, Helen Grace has started doing this thing when she gets tired where she will sit in my lap facing me and then lean against me. She will do it over and over as she fights sleep, and she will finally fall asleep that way. I just can’t get enough of her snuggling. I am so very blessed to be able to live this experience of motherhood; it is truly a gift from above. Happy Mother’s Day!

Taunting Bella at Google and Spif’sCIMG4773 CIMG4775 CIMG4778 Caught a raspberry on camera!CIMG4782 Visiting Spif at schoolCIMG4783 Cracking herself up during dinnerCIMG4784 CIMG4790 This is her new trick- she sticks out her tongue and runs it over her bottom teeth.CIMG4792 Someone couldn’t wait for her birthday to play with her gift…she found it in the laundry room, and I couldn’t get her away from it. I guess it’s a hit!CIMG4794 CIMG4793

No comments: