Monday, February 8, 2010

White Wonderland

Helen Grace decided to play a trick on us this morning. She started crying around 5 a.m., but since it wasn’t a strong or consistent cry, I waited to get up until 5:20 or so. I walked into the kitchen to make a bottle, and when I passed the front door, I noticed what I thought was dew or frost outside. Much to my dismay, when I got up to HG’s nursery with the bottle, the child was fast asleep….seriously?! I sat there in her room for a few minutes, thinking she would wake back up, but no such luck. I turned around and headed back downstairs to bed, and on the way down the stairs, I noticed that it was raining…no wait, that is  white and is flying down to the ground in huge chunks- that is SNOW!!!! I ran into our room to tell John, and we ran to the front door and gawked at the big white flakes. I stood there like a kid in a candy store, and he just laughed at me. Snow day!!!!! Such an unexpected gift!

While John had to make it to work at least for the morning, Helen Grace and I had a great, lazy day together. She finally woke up at 8:30 a.m., and after breakfast, I bundled her up in her bunny snow suit (thanks, Grandma Jeanne and Geggy) and headed outside. She liked to feel the snow and even put some to her mouth to taste it, but she was over it within a few minutes. I can’t get over how much accumulation we got (probably 3-4 inches), and it was so soft and fluffy. Beautiful!

Update: As I climbed into bed tonight, I remembered a thought from today I wanted to make note of. After our adventure in the snow this morning, Helen Grace and I climbed back into bed, and she took a nap on my chest. The blinds were open, and I laid there for an hour and a half, watching my precious baby sleep and the snow fall outside my window. Last winter, when I was pregnant, I spent a very similar afternoon laying in bed, watching snow fall outside and wondering what the baby in my tummy would be like and look like and feel like. I am so blessed and so thankful to have been able to spend this little piece of time with my sweet baby in my arms at last. How much has changed in a year!

What a sight to wake up to!CIMG4146 You can see the spot in the driveway where my car was parked overnight. This was the scene that HG woke up to a few hours later.CIMG4148My cute little snow bunny!CIMG4150CIMG4151 She toppled over but seemed happy about it.CIMG4154CIMG4156 Snow AngelCIMG4158 Feeling it outCIMG4160 Ok, not so sure about this after all.CIMG4162CIMG4165CIMG4167 CIMG4166Whew, out of that suit at last…that was fun!CIMG4170All tuckered outCIMG4171CIMG4173

1 comment: