Friday, November 20, 2009

Cat For Sale

Before Helen Grace was born, Mocha was my baby, always by my side or sleeping on my head. He patiently waited for me to get out of the shower so that he could get his morning petting. When we ate dinner, he would stand on his hind legs (we call this his ‘circus bear’ act) to get as close to us/food as possible. Such a sweet, cuddly, clingy kitty.

Since HG has arrived, I still do my best to love on Mo Mo, but there’s no possible way for him to get the same amount of attention. My hands are a little full! The cats are just lucky to get food and water daily nowadays. He has started throwing up every now and then, and the vet thinks it’s just his reaction to a life change. I’ve gotten pretty good at hearing him though can usually get him to non-carpet flooring before the big event. I guess he thought that since that didn’t get me rowled up anymore, he had to get smart.

One morning last week when I was off of work, Helen Grace was wide awake after her bottle, so I pulled her into my bed and we both fell back asleep. That is until I am awakened by a loud tapping noise. In my groggy mind, it takes me a few seconds to realize it’s coming from our plantation shutters on the window on the far side of the bed. Then I notice Mocha’s dark brown body stretched tall with his paw reached up, and I realize he is pulling open the shutters. That little booger!! I throw a diaper cloth (the only thing I can find) at him but it misses (of course) and does no good to stop him. In an instant, bright sunshine hits HG (who was still asleep despite my hushed cussing) and me right in the face. The bright light took only five seconds to wake up the baby girl, and I frantically try to simultaneously hush her back to sleep and yell at the cat. Just when Helen Grace is closing her eyes again and I think it’s going to be ok, I hear the same noise AGAIN. I sit straight up in bed to see (in my now brightly lit bedroom) that Mocha has scaled the laundry basket, is straddling it (the top was not on it), and is opening the shutters on the other window across the room. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Obviously, Mocha needs more attention from me and knows that he is hitting me where it hurts to mess with my sleep. So if anyone knows someone who’s looking for a new cat…Just kidding! Well, kind of… ;)

No comments: