Thursday, October 29, 2009

Shoes

DSC_0021 Halloween Dress-Up at First Time Moms

In our First Time Moms Group, we are reading Lysa TerKeurst’s book, The Bathtub is Overflowing but I Feel Drained. It’s a great book for new moms and helps address all the emotions that come with this terrific yet terrifying experience.

This week’s chapter had a story that really hit home for me. Lysa was discussing a time when she was sitting in her house, and within her view, she could count 14 pairs of shoes!!! The anger and resentment started building up in her- how could her children and husband be so rude and disrespectful to leave their shoes in the middle of the floor? Didn’t they have any manners? As she leaned down to pick up a pair, it hit her- thank you, God, for these little pink painted toenails that are healthy enough to prance around in these little flip flops; thank you, God, for the healthy big boy feet that run around in the yard and get these tennis shoes muddy; thank you, God, for the man who works hard day after day to provide for this family and carries this family on his tired shoulders. As she gathered the shoes, she said a little prayer for each member of her family and was thankful for these reminders of all we have been given in this life.

Wow. That hit me hard. How many times have I nagged John to pick up his soccer cleats from the middle of the laundry room floor (or complained about all the little rubber pellets that accompany them into the house from the OBHS turf). Or tripped on his work shoes on a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night and thought some ugly thoughts. I have so much to be thankful for- a husband who is a great daddy and supports this family and especially supports me through my crazy moments, a daughter who is healthy and happy, a very comfortable home, a family that goes over and beyond to help us, friends that love us and our baby girl, jobs that provide for our family. I must use these every day moments like picking up shoes around the house to say ‘thank you, God’ and create in me an attitude of thankfulness.

P.S. My mom friends also taught me to sign up for daily emails at www.proverbs31.org. Most days, that is the only Bible verse I get to see, so I really appreciate the “daily bread.”

No comments: