Thursday, September 3, 2009

Rice = Sleep?

The last few nights Helen Grace has started waking up in the middle of the night and screaming for a bottle. She has been sleeping through the night for months now, so this was very odd- and exhausting! I thought desperate times called for desperate measures...it was time for rice cereal. Since I didn't do a ton of research about feeding before HG's arrival, I've really leaned heavily on my doctor's recommendations for our every move (thank goodness, he's a really laid-back guy). He thinks it's best to wait until four months to try rice cereal; however, people have been telling me for months that I should start her on it sooner than that to help with sleeping. etc...and I finally gave in.

We started with a spoon. At first, she wasn't really sure about it and screamed a lot. I'd plug the paci in really quickly and she'd calm down. Then I'd shovel another spoonful in.
And then she started to kind of like it. It was neat to see her processing the feel of the spoon and the cereal and taking it all in. She was so cute gumming the cereal! Although some of it ran back out of her mouth, she luckily never really spit it all back out. Let's hope that means she will be neat and orderly like her mama. :)
Eventually, she'd had enough of the spoon, so we switched to the bottle. She ate a few ounces of the cereal in the bottle before I gave in and switched to plain formula. I was worried I was going to wear her out with all this new stuff in one night! I kept her up late too, so we'll see if this rice cereal stuff will do the trick for our growing girl!

2 comments:

Heather said...

This is TOTALLY my opinion, but I think it's all a myth that cereal that young makes them sleep. I never tried it that young and kept it separate from the bottle. It gets very messy in the bottle.

However, if you start using it and she starts sleeping through the night, then girl, go for it! I doubt it would hurt. We all do what we can to survive right? :-)

I think them waking up randomly at this age has more to do with becoming more mobile...but that's just me!

She's getting so big! And adorable. I love all your monogrammed stuff!

Kevin and Mitcie said...

I think as a mom, YOU do what YOUR instincts tell you! Cade and Chloe were polar opps. He slept wonderfully and took to his cereal like a champ and din't need it until 5 months. Chloe needed it at 3 months because she was STARVING!! Literally, she LOVES to eat and wanted something with more substance and the cereal did JUST the trick! It still didn't help her sleep thru the night, however because she was a ROTTEN baby and momma couldn't stand to hear her cry! ; ) You are doing fabulous and I love the video! What a doll you have! Way to go MOM!