Friday, July 24, 2009

Oh Yeah…This Is What Sleep Feels Like!

Baby girl has been teasing us with sleeping through the night for a few days now. She has slept 6 or 7 hours straight two separate times, although not in back to back nights; however, we have either been kept awake by a sick kitty cat or a monitor alarm going off all night (more on that in a sec), or we were pushing her paci back in her mouth while turning her lullaby CD back on. BUT…last night, our sweet baby slept from 9:00 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. and didn’t make a PEEP throughout the night. Other parents kept telling me that there would be a morning where you woke up and panicked when you realized that you hadn’t heard the baby all night, and to be honest, I was beginning to doubt that would ever happen but IT FINALLY DID! And I have to pat us on the back…John and I are terrible about going to bed when she goes to bed and end up staying up too late just piddling online or watching tv, but last night we were in bed before 10:00 p.m. I feel so rested, and our house was definitely a happy place this morning!!

Wednesday night was our first night with HG on the apnea monitor, and it was a disaster. The alarm went off at 2:00 a.m. and scared me to death. I was so delirious when I got up to the nursery that I didn’t look to see if it was going off because of her not breathing or if it was a mechanical problem. I didn’t have to wait too long to figure it out because it soon went off again and again and again. After calling the 24-hour number, we determined that the machine was working properly but I was putting it on her incorrectly. And with that news and hearing loss from the shrill alarm, I took it off of her and called it a night!! Whew! A therapist came the next day and showed me how to position it on her chest (needed to be lower than first shown to me), and last night we had no alarms. Hooray!! Let’s hope I have finally gotten the hang of it and that this proves that HG is fine but the first monitor was faulty. Fingers crossed.

With every day, Helen Grace is more and more alert. She’s noticing fans and lights, and she is really getting less stingy with her smiles. I snagged a pic of one with my Blackberry, so it’s a little blurry but you get the point.smiling

Also, if you are looking for an 8-week picture, you will have to wait for a 2-month one coming up soon. When we took the 7-week picture, John asked me with a sly smile when we were going to move from taking weekly pictures to monthly pictures, so I got the hint and will let go of my picture-taking obsession. Well, kind of. We’ll do monthly pics from here on out. Y’all know I’m kind of OCD! :)

Helen Grace went to her first Moore family Thursday night Seafood Junction dinner in Byhalia last night. Bubba about fell out of her chair when we walked in and surprised her, and she was on Cloud 9 the rest of the night! She got to introduce her to all her buddies, and I loved when she got up to get a salad, she told me to “watch her baby for her.” We are still trying to get the catfish stench off of her, but a bath today helped a little. ;)

CIMG2543

Here are more pictures from our week…CIMG2527CIMG2534CIMG2535Ok, Mama, I know I’m cute. Get it over with- take the picture.CIMG2537Enough already, woman!CIMG2540

1 comment:

Karen said...

I remember the nights of waking up to the horrible shrill alarm of the apnea monitor. It won't take too many of the false alarms for you to figure out what is making it go off (misplaced leads, dirty leads, old leads, a wiggly baby, etc). Hopefully, she won't have to be on the monitor for too long and you can feel more at peace.

Karen