Monday, April 13, 2009

BOOOO for Glucose Tests!


Our appointment today was an emotional one. Don't worry, Helen Grace is just fine- her mama is just having a minor breakdown.
  1. I have gained a good bit of weight since my last visit which wasn't expected. I am willing to accept some of it, but the rest I am blaming on the scale being off due to my doctor's group moving office buildings last week. Doesn't that movement get the weights all off?? Please tell me so!

  2. I was told by a nurse last week that my glucose test came back fine but that I needed to take an iron supplement because of my low iron level. Today my doctor told me that my iron wasn't a big deal but that my glucose level was 140. She is supposed to make people with sugar levels of 140 and above take the next glucose test, so she wants me to do it next week. She said that at first she was just going to blow it off, but by the time I got the appointment, she had talked herself into making me take the second level test. This means that I have to fast the night before, go sit in her office for three hours, and have my blood tested on the hour. BOOOOOO! I was so upset about the weight and then this news after I thought I had done so well that I completely blanked out and didn't get into what this means for me or for Helen Grace. Shame on me. I obviously need to do some research before my test next Wednesday.

  3. We were scheduled for our 4D ultrasound this afternoon as well, but Helen Grace had her hand in front of her face the entire time. The technician felt so bad for us that she didn't even charge us for it. After 30 minutes of the nurse beating on my tummy, trying to get her to move, I was just fine with not seeing her face as long as she'd quit shaking my baby! We might be able to try again while I am there next week for my glucose test, depending on the technician's schedule. For some good news, Helen Grace weighs 3 pounds, 8 ounces and is in the 49th percentile for weight. We saw her little heart beating away and her hands and feet moving around. Also, we were able to see her yawn which was freaking ADORABLE!

So now I am watching "Dancing with the Stars" and "24" and having a pity party for myself with a virgin pina colada made by my sweet hubby. Hopefully, I'll wake up on the better side of the bed tomorrow morning! I keep reminding myself that we are so thankful Helen Grace is healthy and growing, and we get to see her in a little less than 10 weeks!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I barely failed my first glucose tolerance test too and had to go back for the 3 hour one. Make sure you take some kind of quick snack with protein (I think I took some cheese) so that you can eat as soon as you are finished with it. Trust me: you will need to eat. Sorry that you have to drink that nasty stuff again!

Morgan Holt said...

Goodness girl! You did have a day! I'm so glad to hear that Helen Grace is doing well though and the last few weeks of your pregnancy will indeed fly by. You're almost there! Oh, and I'm still taking iron supplements from the birth of my two girls....seems like they just suck it out of ya! I'll pray for your next glucose test. I hope all goes well!

Mindy said...

Aw I am so sorry you had such a hard day! Before you know it, Helen Grace will be here and it will all be worth it! You are doing great, just hang in there a little bit longer.