Monday, March 23, 2009

Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Trip to the Doc

So I had my 28-week appointment today, and I was scheduled for the glucose test. I was really nervous about blowing it, so I ate no carbs or sugar after lunch on Sunday. I did have some sugar-free Jello and Crystal Lite for breakfast, but that was it. I drank the way-too-sugary orange drink 30 minutes before my appointment and headed to the doctor's officer. An hour later, they took three vials of blood for the glucose test and I got to see my doctor.

I was going through my normal list of questions with my doctor when I asked her about the blood test I remembered reading about that was necessary if the mother had a certain type of blood. She responded that a Rhlg shot was only needed if the mother was Rh negative and I was Rh positive...as she flips through my chart...oh wait, I'm actually RH NEGATIVE!! Minor issue!!

Luckily, the shot is needed around 28 weeks (it lasts for 12 weeks), and I just happened to be at 27 weeks and some days. From what I understand, the shot is essentially a booster shot of antibodies so that in case Helen Grace's blood is Rh positive, my antibodies won't start attacking hers. I've done some research today, and if at her birth, we discover she has Rh positive blood, I'll have to get another shot to get me through breastfeeding.

So today was the magic day to get the fun Rhlg shot...which meant more blood work...and no food on Sha's tummy!! Needless to say, after the blood work, I got lightheaded and hot and nauseated, so they wheeled me down the hall into an empty exam room and let me lay down for a while. Then, the sweet nurse came in with a shot and told me to roll on over- GASP! I had to get it in my bottom!!!! And it HURT! Gosh, I was just mentally exhausted after that trip to the doctor! I have celebrated with potato soup, sweet tea, cake, pasta, and ice cream...heehee!

This weekend was eventful too. Kosta came over on Saturday morning and got the primer on the walls. He'll come back in the next week or so for the pink coat. While I was kicked out of the house for a few hours for the fumes to air out, I went to Moma and Daddy's, and Moma got out my baby book. I was so inspired by all of her hard work that I got out Helen Grace's later that night and got to work. I've been printing out pics as we go, so I had fun finally put those all in place and putting some dates to them. We also learned about the importance of a health notebook in our parenting class, so I found a neat binder at Target and got that all organized for future doctors' appointments and made sure the Poison Control sticker was right on the front. Very productive weekend!

Here's Helen Grace's room with the primer on the walls and all the furniture in the middle of the room. We are so thankful that Kosta is a pro and could make it work!



I have been secretly lusting after a glass lamp that I found online but it was ridiculously expensive. Then, I found this look-alike lamp while wandering around Target- and it was only $30!!! And then I found the cute lampshade at Pottery Barn- love it!

No comments: