Friday, February 13, 2009

I have so much to learn!

I've spent a good bit of time in Target's baby department over the years, but it was mostly only to shop for friends' babies and I didn't really know what I was buying. Now it's my turn to sign up for a baby registry, and I'm so overwhelmed! Luckily, Brandy has taken me under her wing, and she and I had a shopping date last night at Babies 'R Us and Target. Man, we shopped 'til they closed the stores! For the big items like strollers, car seats, pack-n-plays, etc., she would explain her personal experience with each item and then tell me what the consumer reviews had said about it (she is like a walking encyclopedia of children's items- and also suffers from insomnia). For the other stuff (including tacky, brightly colored stuff that I can't stand but know that is necessary for my child to develop and be stimulated), she'd tell me to point and scan the barcode. :) We've gotten most everything picked out, although the hunt continues for a high chair. Now we just have to explain to John what all this stuff does- ha!

If I had a dollar for every time that John has said in feigned exasperation this week, "I want my wife back!!," I'd be a very wealthy lady. My mind has completely left me. I can't think of obvious words or names, and I definitely cannot interpret a conversation correctly. I don't know how he and I can come out of the same discussion with such totally different versions of the decision. I wonder if my mind will come back to me upon Helen Grace's birth, or am I doomed with the lack of intelligent thought for the next 18 years??

4 comments:

Courtney Rogers said...

Yes, your mind is gone and won't come back for a while!!! Registering for a baby is stressful compared to the wedding stuff. It's like safty vs. pretty! Explaining to John what things are won't be as hard as trying put it all together! Ha, you should have seen Paul and I trying to get the car seat carrier in the stroller. Oh, we put the baby in the car seat incorrectly strapped in for 6 weeks too!!!

Courtney Rogers said...

Sadly, the not so cute bright stuff is good for them and it's neutral for the next baby too :).

Angela said...

It's all a crabshoot! Like I have said many times, what works for one baby, won't necessarily work for the next!

Eric and Katherine Brown said...

Oh I would say your mind will come and go over the next...well several years! Ha! It is very overwhelming! You will love having a little girl!!! She is very lucky!